Snapshots and stories from Jessica Kelly's work and adventures with the Western Heads East Project from May - August 2008 in Mwanza, Tanzania.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Having the mayor on speed dial?!

In the week ahead, Melanie, the International Research Coordinator from the University of Western Ontario is visiting Mwanza. In preparing for her arrival, I have been busy booking meetings on her behalf, and in the process learning a lot about the social norms of appointments and communication.

First, planning ahead seems to be a foreign concept here. When I made requests for appointments the following week, most people thought I was from Mars.

Second, a communication infrastructure built almost solely on cell phones has very interesting dynamics. When I was first given the list of appointments to book (the Dean of the Medical School, the Chair of the Medical Research Institute, the Mayor, to name a few) I thought I was being sent on mission impossible. With no phone numbers, I had to visit the offices of these individuals. On more than one occasion, this is what happened: I arrived at the office and asked his/her assistant if they were available, the assistant responded “He/she is away at meetings/vacation/trips, but you can reach them on their cell phone.” I am so used to the Canadian approach of deflecting communication from high ranking officials, that I was absolutely floored with how freely they distributed personal contact information for these individuals.

Yesterday morning I called to confirm an appointment with Leonard Bihondo, the Mayor of Mwanza, Tanzania’s second largest city. Apparently I am a saved contact in his cell phone, since he knew my name when he answered. Then we had a candid conversation about how our Monday morning meeting would jive with his personal weekend plans to visit his home village. Talking weekend plans with the mayor on his cell phone…unbelievable….

1 comment:

Dad said...

Sounds fantastic Jessica. Enjoy the time it is going by quickly. The blog is awsome and many of your friends/ parents friends check it regularly. They do not have the blog comment thing worked out but they comment to me that they have checked in on your adventures. Keep up the travel log there are lots watching your adventures. dad