Snapshots and stories from Jessica Kelly's work and adventures with the Western Heads East Project from May - August 2008 in Mwanza, Tanzania.

Friday, May 23, 2008

Getting Settled in Mwanza

Hujambo!

I arrived safely in Mwanza on Wednesday afternoon and Ruben (the current intern) has been helping me to get oriented ever since. My apologies to anyone whose email I have not responded to. I am quickly discovering that internet in Tanzania is like the internet back on the farm -- an activity that requires a newspaper to read during the downtime!

Yesterday I spend a few hours with our housekeeper Pendo. Communication was a challenge, but nonetheless she took me on a tour to meet some of her friends and visit her home. Along the way, she taught me some Swahili as well.

Today Ruben and I visited the kitchen to meet the "Yogurt Mamas" and the International Language School to sign me up for Swahili lessons.

Ruben has arranged to go on a safari in the Seregenti from Sunday to Wednesday with a group of friends, so I might go along. It's a little early in my trip, but why wait?

5 comments:

Dad said...

Glad to here that you are settling in. Dad

Uncle Scott said...

Congratulations on your adventure as it unfolds. Hope the safari is exciting, but not too exciting.

Thanks for the update on your travels, we are looking forward to your next post.

PS. We got our puppy last weekend. When you get back, he will be a dog. Everything grows up too fast these days. Love, Scott

Mom said...

Wow...a safari already...I'll be watching for all the amazing photos!
Much love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Jessica, glad to here things are going well for you. Off to safari, I'm so so jealous, hope you take lots of pics. Was wondering obout the origin of the "Yogurt Mamas" is that a literal transalation from swahili of just a nick name. I my useful tidbit is as follows; "Tafadhali nataka bia [pombe] baridi" I'd like a cold beer. Cheers

Kate Skinner said...

Hope you had a great time on your safari. You'll have to send us some pictures. (I had a great b-day by the way). See Ya!