Snapshots and stories from Jessica Kelly's work and adventures with the Western Heads East Project from May - August 2008 in Mwanza, Tanzania.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Lions and Zebras and Giraffes - oh my!

I just returned from a spectacular 4-day, 3-night camping safari with a group of 10 Dutch students. We spent the first two days in the Serengeti National Park where we spotted all sorts of wildlife. We even saw (with front row seats) a lion hunt a wildebeast! The third day we spent in the Ngornongoro Crater, which is absolutely breathtaking. The crater is about 20 km in diameter (the result of a sunken volcano) and is virtually a patchwork of different ecosystems and landscapes. The campsite at Ngornongoro was spectacular! I literally had to dodge zebras to get from the campfire to my tent!

I will be washing dust out of my hair for weeks, but it was definitely worth it! Neither words nor photos can do the safari justice, but nonetheless here are a few of my favourite shots...

5 comments:

LynneI said...

Sounds so exciting. I have to use my imagination on the animal photos, I can't view them. Maybe its because I'm a blog virgin. Glad you took the chance on the safari, don't put off til tomorrow what you can do today. Nice choice on the second language of Swahili; forget Asia, I'm sure that will be the next big language for global commerce and you'll be out in front!

Dad said...

Wow,amazing pictures and the summer has only started. Take pictures of everything. Dad.

Jennifer Aitkens said...

Wow - better trip than mine in Kenya! Great photos!

jaimie said...

Jessica!!

I just met with Sabrina! I think we're both getting very excited to come to Mwanza! Sounds like you're settling in very well.

Your pictures are stunning -- I especially like the one of the zebras!! Very funny.

Goodluck with everything for the next three weeks or so!! We'll see you SOON!

Jaimie

Janet said...

Wow!... I'm at a loss for words... Wow! The pictures are awesome, I'm so jealous! Enjoy!